Hi, I’m Anthony Hartshorn. I live in London.
the Machine Learning Engineering Lead at Genie AI where we are building the future of legal services. We use cutting edge NLP to make intelligent tools for lawyers. I lead the research.
a Mandarin and German learner, and lifelong hacker.
interested in internet privacy, environmentalism, linguistics, accessibility in law, gardening, and running.
- Lead a 2 year InnovateUK collaboration with Marta Kwiatkowska’s team at Oxford in explainability and robustness in NLP. We’ve developed a novel way of explaining transformer models based on a game based framework, published a way of assessing robustness of machine learning models to adversarial examples using a monte carlo tree search, and developed techniques to explain machine learning models decisions causally. [Genie]
- Lead a 2 year InnovateUK collaboration with the computational privacy group at Imperial college. We’ve developed techniques to assess vulnerabilities to authorship attribution attacks on text (automatically determining the author of a piece of text from their writing style), and potential ways to mitigate these risks. [Genie]
- Developed countless proof of concepts of intelligent potential features and productionized the most promising into the Genie product.
- Worked with great advisors such as Jun Wang, Former Supreme Court President Lord Neurberger, and Adam Ziegler who created case.law [Genie]
- Lead the technical due dillegence aspects of several funding rounds. [Genie]
- Previously founder of legal tech company through EF. We managed to raise a bit of money and got some traction, but it was ultimately unsucessful and we pulled the plug. I learned a lot, and remain plugged into the startup ecosystem.
- Previously worked at Signal AI where I was researching reported speach detection in news (detecting quoations that are indirect and not within quotation marks).
- Cut my software teeth as a Java developer at IBlocks and as a software engineer at TNG Technology Consulting in Germany.
I’m an alrounder technologist with extensive experience in taking products from conception, product development and production. I’m a polyglot software engineer who can write well engineered software, perform devops and deploy to production.